Monday, October 8, 2012

12 Days of Christmas For Your Guy

I know it is early but for someone who DIY's it is crunch time for Christmas already!  I don't know how others do it but starting early is the only way to give myself time to make meaningful gifts for everyone on my list.  So this is the reason why I'm sharing this post now because I'm already in my brainstorming mode.

Last year I decided to do 12 days of Christmas for Sutty.  Knowing him, I numbered the gifts clearly so that he would open them correctly and what does he do?  Opens two gifts on the first day!  Men still act like boys sometimes, anyone agree with me?  This guy is 26 yet would go to the tree first thing in the morning to find his next gift.  I really enjoyed putting this together because it wasn't all just for him... The gifts were a mixture of dates for us to do and only a few actual material items.  I emphasize on spending quality time with each other instead of getting engulfed with material things during the holidays.  My goal was to only give 1-2 normal item gifts and the rest were things we would do anyway while trying to be as economical as possible.


Below is a description of each gift I gave which will hopefully give you some ideas.

Day 1: "Thanks for being a sweetheart."  Wrapped up some candies.  I don't encourage his sweet tooth so I would only give him a few and shared the rest with my coworkers, haha.
Day 2: "Movie date night :)"  You can either do this at home, go out to the theater, or even drive-through.  Gift wrap a bag of popcorn or favorite box of candy.  Microwavable popcorn packets is a good, cheap option.
Day 3: "We're going on an ice skating date Friday night, dress warm!"  I got discounted tickets to a local ice skating rink.  I use Groupon, LivingSocial, and Goldstar but there are so many more out there!  This date was more for myself.


Day 4: Some more candy.
Day 5: Banana Republic Men's Gloves - I wrote a note that said "These should come in handy for tonight's date."  This was our ice skating date night.

Day 6: honestly can't remember what I did here probably more candy... but I'll keep thinking about it.
Day 7: A box of cookies.
Day 8:  "Put this address in for tonight's date." I got discounted tickets to a local Christmas lights wonderland.  I thought it was going to be cheesy but it was surprisingly really fun. Again, I use Groupon, LivingSocial, and Goldstar but there are so many more out there!

Did you notice we can't take serious photos yet?

Day 9:  A candy cane.  I was getting lazy and brought candy canes in for work so left one at home for this guy.
Day 10:  "Pack warm for a weekend in the city!"  We live an hour away from the San Francisco so simply taking a weekend trip up there during the holidays is magical. Plus, Sutty loves to shop so it made it easy for me--Union Square.  I planned ahead and told our friends we'd be coming up.  We enjoyed dinner, went shopping, and then our friends showed up as a surprise to join us for the cable car ride.  It was beautiful at night time with all the city lights.  The cable car drops you off right next to Ghirardelli so we had a delightful late night dessert :)  Oh, I can't tell you how awesome this trip was! 

Day 11:  "You always make my heart melt."  Box of chocolates.
Day 12:  I made cuff links from rare Cambodian coins since his culture is very important to him.  They're subtle and classy.  This cost me around $7.

Here's another version I saw on Pinterest you should check out:
http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2011/12/on-the-first-day-of-christmas-my-true-love-gave-to-me.html

Please comment if you have additional ideas!  I need to mix a few new ideas this year.

Love,
EcoMonster

No comments: